Monday, November 14, 2016

Theology Reflection

Sarah Yearwood
Ms. Pickett
Theology
13 November 2016
Jesus to Me
            To me, Jesus is a symbol of suffering, love, and power. As a young child, I was taught to think of Jesus as a Savior or Messiah. While Jesus is a Savior or Messiah, I feel as though his symbolic meanings take precedence over other definitions of him. Jesus represents love through accepting and showing compassion to all people: the outcasts, the rich, the poor, and the weak. Jesus symbolizes suffering, as he had to overcome and experience pain for all of us. Lastly, Jesus is a symbol of power through his ability to endure the abuse and pain of his crucifixion, but also through the miracles and patience he had with all people. To be powerful, one must be able to overcome obstacles set before them with love. Jesus endured the pain, suffering, ostracization, and mockery out of love for us. Jesus literally died on the cross for the people he loves, something mothers would do for their children as well. When you love someone or something, you will do everything in your power to help and care for that individual or thing to have the best existence possible.
Personally, I think Jesus’ suffering represents the power of love he has for all people. But, if I could ask Jesus any question if he were living today, I would ask him how could he carry on living if he knew of his gruesome death? It genuinely amazes me how he still allowed the Jews and Pontius Pilate to crucify him and abuse him even though he knew it would happen prior. If I were Jesus I would have killed myself right before Judas betrayed me and I was brought before Pontius Pilate. Jesus’s ability to sacrifice himself for the people that were persecuting him astonishes me because if I was him I would be completely bitter that the people I am working so hard for are against me and desire to kill me.
            Jesus taught all people to be compassionate and love thy neighbor as thyself. As Christians, we are supposed to uphold to Jesus’ teachings and exercise compassion in every aspect of our lives. Some Christians today, however, do not live the way Jesus wants us to. According to Jesus’ actions, we are supposed to support and ally with the most vulnerable. Many Christians do help and support the most vulnerable through working at food shelters, donating clothes to the homeless, and working with sexually abused victims. While these individuals maintain Jesus’ teachings, they may also engage in actions that are the opposite of being compassionate and loving towards others.

Upon attending Holy Child, I learned that some Christians do not support the LGBTQ+ community because in parts of the bible homosexual or countercultural relations were condemned. While the LGBTQ+ community may be condemned or not discussed in the Bible, Jesus created relationships with the outcasts and most vulnerable. Subsequently, Christians should also create relationships and accept the outcasts and most vulnerable in our society. In addition, Jesus advocated for his beliefs and the glory of God. I think it is very crucial in the Christian faith and in the secular sphere to voice our opinion and hear other perspectives in order to grow and learn. Through expressing our opinions and understanding other individuals’ viewpoint on an issue, we work towards creating a compassionate and understanding environment for all people.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, In your last paragraph where you share the importance of hearing varying opinions and developing compassion and understanding seems more important now than ever.

    The comment "It genuinely amazes me how he still allowed the Jews and Pontius Pilate to crucify him and abuse him even though he knew it would happen prior." Are you thinking that Jesus knew all along he would die? Or do you mean that he figured out as humans must do? Even though Jesus was divine, he lived his full humanity while on earth, meaning he could have discerned his death, but did not have any special knowledge that he would die in the manner in which he did.

    23/25

    ReplyDelete